Not all people have exceptional communication skills, thus there are those who excel compared to others. Usually, those who are great with their communication skills tend to have a better personality because they can easily converse with other people. Though not everyone are equal, the chance to improve your communication skills can be achieved though proper practice. The interpersonal relationships that you have with people are affected by your communication skills.
In order to groom your personality, here are some skills that you can use.
1) Speak in an Intelligent Way. Try to speak on a slower pace to help you find the proper words and showcase thoughtfulness. Pause at important key points because this adds emphasis with regards to the specific point that you want your listener/s to realize.
2) Speak Politely. It’s better to start a conversation or a speech with a greeting. This would initialize everything and set up the mood.
3) Speak Confidently. When you communicate with others, take note of your body language. Do not slouch. Do not hide your face. Speak in a confident way. Show the person you are conversing with that you are not ashamed of what you are saying. Always remember that your body stance and body language can add to your communication skills, thus, you should always showcase confidence.
4) Speak More Articulately. Use words that you are familiar with. Pronounce words clearly and avoid using words that you are unsure to pronounce. Use what you know and avoid mistakes by not using unfamiliar words.
5) Speak in a Polished Way. When answering a question, never answer with a single word. Add more words to affirm your answer. This will help in clearing your answer and getting your point across.
6) Speak in a Sensitive Way. Observe your listeners and make sure that they are listening or responding to what you are saying in a positive way. It’s up to you how you could turn the situation around. Make use of your hands and eyes to maintain interest from your listener/s.
7) Speak with Power. When you speak, speak as clear as you can. Never whisper or shout. It is best that you utilize declarative sentences that are short and concise. Always mean what you are saying. Delete ineffective connectors in your sentences. Say things straight to the point.
Always remember that practice is very important to enhance your communication skills. You can try practicing in front of a mirror or simply record what you are saying. By doing this, you can analyze and correct your mistakes. Once you have mastered these skills, you can definitely see that your personality is shining. Don’t let your communication skills dictate your whole personality. Always keep in mind that you can always improve if you only allot proper attention and determination to do so.
Sign up to our Newsletter
Be Notified of New Posts